Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Limited View

Yesterday afternoon I completed yet another step of the journey toward becoming certified as a private pilot. Upon leveling off at an altitude of 3500 ft, Randy (my instructor) handed me a view limiting device which I slipped on over my glasses. Up until this moment I had been trained to navigate by the horizon, but now my view was literally limited to a set of gages directly in front of me. For the next 30 minutes Randy instructed me to perform turns to various coordinates by trusting nothing but the gages. There were times when it seemed as though the gages were lying to me... my mind literally was in conflict with what the gages were reading... I was experiencing spatial disorientation. But since I know the gages do not lie, I trusted them rather than my own deceived intuitions. Friends, this brought a new meaning to the phrase... "Living by faith instead of sight."

In a very real since, we live out life under a view limiting device. Many times along the journey, we come to a places of uncertainty and we aren't sure which way to go, or what to do next.... we become spiritually disoriented. These are critical moments because the decisions we make here affect our destiny. Our tendency is to go with our gut, but doing so could be disastrous. There is a different way... a way that is safe and sure.

Proverbs 3:5-6... Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not to your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your ways.

Today, while you journey, you may loose your way. You will know what to do, but your intuition will challenge you to do the opposite. Don't do it! Like properly calibrated avionics, God never lies. Trust Him and enjoy the journey.



1 comment:

Kara said...

I needed this word today, thanks!