Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm Inspired

I'll admit that I am more than a little weary of hearing all the hoopla over an African American man becoming President of the United States of America. I could care less about the color of a man's skin... I am much more concerned about the content of a man's character. My hope is that Barrack Obama is more than a sauve politician, a passionate orator, and a brilliant campaigner. Time will tell.

Whether a fan of the man, or not, one cannot overlook the fact that his journey is inspiring. His rise to the highest office in the land reminds each of us that America is still the land of opportunity... that in America, if a we make the right decisons and are willing to work hard, we can be what we want to be. Unfortunately, many will settle for far less.

So... today, as I wonder what the outcome of his leadership will mean for America, I applaud him. No doubt little people told him he couldn't do it... that he didn't have what it takes... but he didn't succomb to the doubting discouragers. He must have rather chosen to surround himself with people who shared a common belief... a belief far greater than an African American should be elected... a belief that he espoused a set of ideals that were good for America. Today, because he set and stayed a specific course, he will be given the chance to test his ideals.

As I watch segments of the celebration (probably replays) I will not see a America's first African American President... I will see a man who, because he lives in America, had the opportunity to come out of no where to be President of the United States, and he took it.

I'm inspired.

No comments: